UPDATE at 4 p.m. — National Guard, federal police en route to Capitol to assist in ending occupation by Trump supporters.
Chaos is unfolding at the Capitol building Wednesday afternoon after Demonstrators breached the U.S. Capitol, forcing a delay in the constitutional process affirming President-elect Joe Biden’s win in November’s election.
Here are some of the main things to know:
- The Capitol is on lockdown.
- Members of Congress inside House chamber were told by police to put on gas masks after tear gas dispersed in Capitol Rotunda.
- A woman was shot inside the U.S. Capitol.
- D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser ordered a citywide curfew starting at 6 p.m. Wednesday until 6 a.m. on Thursday.
- The Senate is on recess from Electoral College vote amid clashes.
- The National Guard and federal police are on the way to the Capitol.